Friday, February 20, 2009

Couples Retreat

Last weekend we had the opportunity to go to Camp Joy in Wisconsin for a Couples' Retreat with seven other couples from church. We had a great time with each other and fellowshipping with the others as well as hearing lots of good stuff!
A week later, here are the things that have most stuck with me from the retreat.
1. I need to do a better job at thinking before I speak. Here was an acrostic that was shared by the speaker: Before you speak, think...
T - Is it true?
H - Does it honor God and the other person?
I - What is my intent, to tear down or build up?
N - Is it necessary?
K - Is it kind?
What a good reminder, not just for in my marriage, but in my parenting and other relationships as well. Definitely needs to be in print on my fridge or another prominent place!
2. I need to be more faithful praying for my husband (and children). The wife of the main speaker did a session with the ladies. One of the things she gave us was scriptures to pray for our husbands. Here is the list she shared. You have other ideas to add.
* Pray that he will be a holy man and know God's will. (I Thess. 5:23, Col. 4:12, Jude 24)
* Pray that he will be strong in the Lord. (Is. 40:31, Eph. 6:10, Eph. 3:16-19, Eph. 1:16-18)
* Pray that he will love the Lord with all his heart. (Deut. 6:4-5)
* Pray for him to be a good father. (Deut. 6:6-7, Eph. 6:4, Deut. 5:29)
* Pray for him to be a godly husband. (Eph. 5:25)
* Pray that he will keep a clear conscience. (Acts 24:16, I Pet. 3:16-18)
* Pray that he will grow daily in godly character. (II Pet. 1:2-8)



1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

What a cute couple! And some very thought provoking points from the retreat. I'm glad you got the opportunity to go.